Movement is vitally important for our overall health and wellbeing. As we exercise blood flow is accelerated and the level of oxygen reaching our cells increases resulting in:
- Increased energy and decreased stress levels
- Increased immune function and expulsion of toxic substances
- Improved circulation and increased cardiovascular function
- Regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- Increased liver function
- Improved brain and nervous system function and
- Improved strength, flexibility and balance.
Movement is also vital in the maintenance of strong bones and a healthy mobile spine and skeletal structure.
Problems result when movement is reduced or disturbed causing postural distortions e.g. spinal or extremity injury or when poor posture brings about alterations in joint movement (e.g. sitting or bending forward all day). One of the most common postural distortions I see as a chiropractor is when the head is off centre and pitched forward. Imagine carrying a bowling ball and how much more difficult it would be to carry it at a distance from your body! Your head weighs about as much as a bowling bowl and when it is pitched forward it places tremendous stress on your entire system. This in turn impacts on the flow of energy throughout your tissues and organs inhibiting your overall physical, mental and chemical wellbeing.
Steps we can take to achieve and maintain optimum posture and movement:
- Make sure your spine, nervous system and every joint in your body is moving well and functioning optimally. My job plays a major role in helping you achieve this through adjustments.
- Take time out every hour to stand tall, breath in deeply through the nose, open your chest and drop your shoulders as you slowly breathe out through the mouth 4 -5 times focusing on a strong upright posture.
- Regular exercise 3-4 times a week that gets your heart racing. 20mins is good but you may need to build up slowly by doing 5min on 5min off.
- Avoid sitting for longer than 30mins without walking.
- Walk 20mins everyday and take the stairs where you can.
- Stretch regularly and practice yoga, pilates, tai chi, dancing or boxing.
So, get yourself off the computer or couch and enhance the great chiropractic benefits your body is receiving by enjoying an active, healthy fun filled life. Stand tall, get moving and watch your true potential unfold.